Thursday, September 6, 2007

"Carlos Barlos"


Bent tail in tow, Carlos laughed at the odds and lived life well. I am sure death trembled before taking him. If not for his Indian cry, then because he was special. Raised on the streets of Columbia, Mo. He caused no sorrow.

I promise, I will never see a face like his, in years of cats to come.

Godspeed Carlos.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT COMES AROUND, GOES AROUND.

A wounded bird under leafy branches
Adjusting feathers
Lifting a heavy head to reveal a bloody neck

The cats are circling
Infection setting in
Hard rain

The next morning
Feathers
____________________________

Little pink lips
White legs akimbo
You were almost dead when you started
Practicing your grand exit

I buried the bird you killed
Instead of you
I imagine someone threw you in the trash

When I whistled for you in the morning
Butterflies instead
I guess I knew
I always knew

No comments: